Position Title: Multimedia Expert
Receiving Agency: WHO
P Level: P2/P3
Duration: 6 months
Location: TBD (country bordering Ukraine - Poland/Romania/Moldova/Hungary/Slovakia/Bulgaria/Czechia)
Language: English required. Russian, Ukrainian, and/or local language of the countries mentioned above
Purpose of the Post
In the context of the WHO Health Emergencies Incident Management System (IMS) at the country level, the incumbent will coordinate multimedia communications in support to WHO/Europe response to the emergency in Ukraine, contributing to increase political, financial and public attention on and engagement in the health needs of refugee populations in the receiving country.
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate Strategic Objective
The Mission of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from
outbreaks and emergencies.
Following the 3-level grading of the emergency in Ukraine on 24 February 2022, an IMST structure has been put in place to respond to te emergency in Ukraine and surrounding countries. This includes a Communication Pillar to the IMST at regional and country level.
Multimedia specialists are needed in Ukraine’s surrounding countries to coordinate video and photographs production in the context of Ukraine’s emergency to showcase to a variety of audiences the health challenges and WHO’s response.
Reporting to the WHO Representative (WR) and/or Head of the Country Office (HoCO), and under the regular guidance of the Communication Manager RDD/EURO and Risk Communication and Community Engagement Regional Adviser WHE/EURO, the incumbent is expected to coordinate multimedia communications in support of WHO/Europe response to the emergency in Ukraine.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
• Identify subjects of interest for communications products and activities pertaining to the emergency response efforts at the country level;
• Produce, package and provide to appropriate focal point high quality communications materials and tools, including audio-visual, photographic, video, b-roll, to showcase health situations, health workers, and needs of affected population and promote WHO’s work, achievements and success stories;
• Working closely with regional Communication Officers, including the Multimedia unit, organize interviews and filming opportunities to support high-visibility of WHO achievements through television, radio and newspapers, web and social media, and provide support to broadcast media and journalists and facilitate their access to related information, as appropriate;
• Perform any other duty as requested by supervisors.
Competencies: Generic (Describe the core, management or leadership competencies required - See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones)
2. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences;
4. Knowing & managing yourself
5. Producing results
6. Moving forward in a changing environment
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
• National language native speaker and writer
• Ability to write well in English and produce engaging communication materials.
• Proven skills in the development and implementation of communication/media products and tactics.
• Excellent interpersonal skills complemented by the ability to conceptualize ideas and advocate consensus.
• Excellent presentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to achieve multiple deadlines.
• Ability to "think out of the box" and to make innovative proposals to extend communication reach.
• Knowledge or understanding of WHO mandate and goals in the emergency incident management context.
• Knowledge of public health sector and issues.
• Demonstrated ability to work within an emergency context at the country level.
Essential: A university degree in communication or online communication, research and analysis, journalism, political science, social sciences,
international relations or related field from an accredited/recognized institute
Desirable: Courses in communication techniques such as video production, graphic design, visual language and the use of social Media; 2-years experience as multimedia content creator, coordinator or similar; previous experience working in an emergency
At least three years’ relevant experience at national and international levels in communication as a social media strategist or similar, and/or advocacy, part of which should include supporting humanitarian emergency or health outbreak response and recovery activities. Proven experience in writing advocacy documents and in the production of communication materials and products.
Desirable: Experience in filming, video production, and photography; Experience in planning and implementing communications strategies in an emergency setting, including behavioral change and media communications. Knowledge or understanding of WHO mandate and goals in emergency response relief or experience in similar positions in the UNs.
Excellent knowledge of English and national language
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
Computer literacy. Excellent presentation skills, with proven ability to write in English in a clear and concise manner. Knowledge or skills in visual design