Position Title: Associate Supply Officer
Receiving Agency: UNHCR
P Level: P2
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Duration: 4 months with the possibility of an extension
Language: English is required. Russian, and/or Ukrainian is highly desirable
Following the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Ukrainian refugees and other nationalities that were in Ukraine began fleeing into neighboring countries including Romania for safety. In its humanitarian response, UNHCR Romania has experienced a rapid upscale in its operations requiring additional staff in all departments.
In support of UNHCR’s operations and the Romanian government’s preparedness and response, the supply chain function is sourcing various kinds of goods, services and works from various sources including UNHCR global stockpiles, local and regional tendering. A logistics hub has been established in Bucharest for cross border delivery of shelter and CRIs into Ukraine and local distribution to refugees in Romania.
The associate supply Officer is based in Bucharest and supports supply activities at Romania Operations level, including field or sub -Offices. The incumbent reports to the supply officer. As and when required, the incumbent will provide support to other units under the respective area of responsibility.
Aim of the Mission
The associate supply officer shall support UNHCR Romania operation through the sourcing of goods and services, management of its inventory and delivery to beneficiary locations.
- The associate supply officer shall ensure a timely, efficient, and cost-effective sourcing of goods and services in support of refugee operations in Romania.
- She or he shall optimize the use of storage facilities and transportation flow of shelter materials and CRIs within Romania and cross border into Ukraine.
- She or he shall maintain an effective coordination between the supply function and its clients (requesting units, government and other UN agencies and NGOs).
Under the supervision of the supply officer, the associate supply Officer will:
- Prepare plans for delivery of relief items according to UNHCR's short- and medium-term requirements.
- Ensure adequate capacity to respond to an emergency and develop contingency plans for the supply function as part of the operational plan.
- Identify partners for supply chain projects based on objectives, priorities, strengths, and resources of the implementing partner and/or contractor, according to criteria consistent with UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Develop relevant contacts and build constructive relations with government authorities, implementing partners, UN agencies and others, to foster cooperation for the timely delivery of relief items avoiding bottlenecks.
- Coordinate, manage and support all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing, transport, shipping, customs clearance, warehousing, asset, and fleet management in the operation. Apply distribution control techniques to optimize stock levels.
- Coordinate activities of implementing partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Identify, assess and select vendors based on their capability for delivering commodities and services. Maintain vendor and item master databases.
- Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, saves cost and safeguards the investment of the organization.
- Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems. Compile and analyses statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Set up and adapt standard supply chain structures to the local environment that are consistent with the operational needs. Ensure effective information flow in the supply chain and adapt process and documents to the prevailing environment.
- Work in collaboration with program and admin colleagues to do an assessment of needs for the operation. To be followed by a comprehensive sourcing plan for CRI¿s.
Degree in Social Science, Engineering, Logistics/Supply Chain, Economics, Business Administration, Marketing or a related field.
- Job experience: Minimum 2 years of relevant experience with graduate degree (equivalent with a Masters), 3 years with undergraduate degree (equivalent with a BA/BS).
- Languages: Proficiency in English is required.
- Proficiency in Romanian is desired
- Supply chain management experience with sound procurement and inventory management skills.
- Clients orientate
- Good communication skills