CANADEM is seeking seasoned professionals with previous relevant experience for its Environmental Specialist roster. CANADEM is a Canadian based NGO that works with various UN agencies through the standby partnership programme. We regularly deploy candidates in various areas of expertise all around the globe. Registration with CANADEM is always free. We are looking to expand our pool of experts for potential/upcoming opportunities with different UN agencies field offices. Most positions are for 3 to 6 month deployments.
Specific Required Skill
Willingness to work in challenging environments / field locations is required.
Education: Background in environmental sciences, chemistry, disaster management, engineering, industrial safety or a related field.
- Work Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the environment and in the civil protection/emergency response fields. Experience in integrating environmental considerations across other disciplines/sectors, and specifically into emergency response, while prioritizing environmental impacts within the framework of humanitarian objectives. Familiarity with rapid environmental assessment tools and frameworks and ability to conduct environmental assessments using the Flash Environmental Assessment Tool (FEAT). Technical knowledge of chemical and radiological hazard identification and response.
- Diplomatic skills: The ongoing conflict is highly sensitive and as such it is important that the technical expert understand the political context of the environmental assessment. Previous experience in sensitive post conflict setting will be necessary
- Languages: Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of Russian language is strongly desirable
- Excellent conceptual and analytical abilities.
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain cool under pressure, and ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.