: Protection Officer
: 6 months with the possibility of an extension
: Chisinau, Moldova
: English required, Russian/Ukrainian an asset
UNHCR Moldova, in collaboration with RBE, is rolling out the Protection Profiling and Monitoring Tool for the Ukraine refugee response in Moldova. The Protection monitoring tool for the Ukraine refugee response collects information on the profile, protection risks, needs and vulnerabilities of refugees based on individual interviews by trained protection staff.
The main objectives are:
Data will be used to produce country-based and regional dashboards and consolidated protection analysis both in Moldova and on a regional level.
- To generate a solid, evidence-based regional protection narrative to inform protection advocacy, planning and resource allocation exercises
- To gain access to first-hand and timely information on the protection situation affecting persons fleeing Ukraine after 24th February.
- To promote evidence-based protection interventions through documentation of risks and incidents in a harmonized way to produce consistent qualitative and quantitative data and analysis.
- To strengthen outreach and active identification of PSNs at heightened risk and facilitate timely referral for assistance and protection services, when appropriate and available.
Aim of the Mission
The aim of the mission will be to provide capacity building and training on conducting protection monitoring and profiling in the context of the Ukraine refugee response for UNHCR’s partners or a period of 6 months. At the end of the deployment, the capacity of the national partner should be at a level whereby the organization would be able to conduct protection monitoring activities independently, with oversight from UNHCR staff.
- Support with building the existing capacities and providing training for the implementation of the protection profiling and protection monitoring system for the Ukraine refugee response.
- Support planning, data analysis and issuance of protection products in coordination with IM teams.
Under the supervision of the Senior Protection Officer, the Protection Officer will carry out the following duties:
- Training: Facilitate protection monitoring and profiling training sessions including interviewing ethics, confidentiality, protection in a refugee context, methodology of data collection, protection incident categories and terminology, use of the form, managing disclosure and identification and referral of persons with specific needs.
- Capacity building: engage in capacity building activities with the main national partner for Protection Monitoring and all other partners interested in profiling, including accompanying teams on monitoring visits, overseeing the quality of interviews conducted, providing guidance and advice.
- Data quality: in collaboration with the IM team, conducting continuous checks on the quality of data collected using the protection monitoring and profiling tools, providing guidance and training as needed to address any issues identified.
- Analysis: work with national partner staff, UNHCR protection, and IM teams to produce regular narrative analysis of protection data collected through the protection monitoring tool and profiling tool for both internal and external audiences.
- Oversight of rollout and sustainability plan: in collaboration with the Protection team and under the supervision of the Snr Protection Officer, keep an overview of the use of both the profiling and protection monitoring tools. Organize enumerators’ onboarding for profiling. Organize feedback sessions with partners involved and rally new partners to sustain the effort. Ensure the data collection exercise is in line with the data protection policy in the country.
- Experience in deploying protection monitoring systems in a refugee or IDP setting
- Experience in capacity building national NGOs / structures in a refugee or IDP response
- Desirable: language skills – Ukrainian, Russian and/or Hungarian, Czech, Slovene.
- Strong communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Able to work under pressure
- Problem solving oriented