5 months (until March 31 2023)
French and English
This position will support WFP CHAD CO, which is based in N'Djamena, Chad. The Electrical Engineer will work with the Engineering Team and will provide expertise in his/her discipline. They will work on the projects that contain elements of Electrical systems including Building systems and Energy Efficiency Programme (EEP) projects. The candidate will assist the team in any technical, financial, and administrative aspects of the assigned projects, fields of work or emergency operations with which the team is involved. The Electrical Engineer will be based in N'Djamena but with frequent travels in the country to duty stations to undertake assessment of works or proposed works or in the support of country offices and engineering teams.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of the Administration Unit or delegated person, duties required of the Electrical Engineer shall include but are not limited to the following:
1. Undertake electrical pre-surveys, surveys and audits on various facilities within the organization, which includes gathering and filing data, providing support to the respondents, identification, recommendation and configuration of the types of equipment.
2. Regular follow up with Country Offices (CO)s on the EEP grants and execution of projects within the relevant timeframe and communicate with focal points to ensure projects are making progress on weekly basis. In addition, there is a need for assessment of the project every 6 months during the implementation of the project to ensure that the project continue
to meet the criteria set for the grants and continued adherence to the EEP Directive.
3. Ensure the normal operations of WFP energy monitoring systems installed in field offices.
Liaise with focal points and electricians and help in the troubleshooting of failed systems. When necessary, arrange replacement of the monitoring systems by shipping new equipment to Country Offices.
4. Conduct remote or onsite assessments of the electrical distribution system in WFP premises, and assist in the preparation of scope-of-works documents and draft contract documents for the implementation of the works.
5. Carry out and oversee electrical works in field locations, including renovation of electrical distribution systems and installation/commissioning of power sources.
6. Follow up completed EEP projects to ensure proper operation of systems, remote monitoring and collect data for the calculation of saving estimated in planning phase.
7 Attend meetings and prepare and review reports, minutes and correspondence.
8. Undertake administrative tasks as required, and provide project management services for the projects where and when requested.
9. Establishment and maintenance of project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting procedures, up to project completion.
11. Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to develop designs of power supply and distribution systems.
12. Undertake missions in the field, if and when required, to complete project-specific assigned tasks or the undertake surveys and detailed analysis.
13. Assist in developing guidance and standards for upgrading of existing WFP premises and new builds so as to be as energy efficient as practicable.
14. Train users on the proper use af the WFP power supply systems.
15. Undertake and complete electrical designs from simple to more complex drawings and layouts in CAD software.
16. At any moment be able to undertake extended field missions in support of WFP Engineering response to Emergencies.
17. Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Chief Engineer or designate, from time to time
10. Participate in design reviews or meetings or workshops (reading, interpreting and critique/comment on technical drawings, proposals, specifications, schematics, etc) and giving advice and recommendation.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Essential - University degree in Electrical Engineering.
Master degree in relevant discipline is an advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
- At least 5 years relevant electrical experience at increasing levels of responsibilities
- Experience of working within the Humanitarian Community.
Languages: Fluent in English and French
- Good knowledge and/or experience in engineering electrical design and specification
- Good knowledge and experience in energy topics (waste, water, electricity, renewable sources, green technologies, energy efficiency, etc}