Human Settlement Planning Officer
3 months with the possibility of an extension
UNHCR estimates that over 4 million people could flee from Ukraine and seek protection and support across the region. UNHCR will support government-led efforts through a multisectoral approach focusing on protection, reception/shelter and material, as well as cash assistance for the most vulnerable groups and for individuals with specific needs. The response will identify and address refugees’ needs, taking into account considerations related to age, gender and diversity. Given the high numbers of women and children – it will ensure targeted child protection interventions and proactive prevention and response to gender-based violence, including in relation to sexual exploitation and abuse.
Aim of the Mission
Provide support to government, UNHCR, partners and IA partners to ensure adequate and effective delivery of human settlement planning, ensuring minimum humanitarian standards through integrated approaches that encompass shelter, WASH, and other civil infrastructures, so as to guarantee a comprehensive protection sensitive site design. Although the UNHCR “Alternative to camp” policy shall apply, as part of the contingency planning of Moldova a number of transit sites have been identified. These require advanced design to ensure meeting minimum humanitarian standards, would they be activated.
- Support the government to have adequate capacity in planning for human settlements
- Lead and coordinate all activities related to settlement planning
- Contribute to IA coordination and liaise with other sectors/ sector leads on cross-sectoral interventions (shelter, WASH, protection, etc.)
Under the supervision of the Snr Accommodation Officer:
- Carry out comprehensive sectoral needs assessments while liaising with other relevant sectors such as shelter, WASH, protection, programme.
- Liaise with the government, line ministries and relevant authorities and counterparts to ensure strong coordination and partnership in human settlement planning.
- Design infrastructure interventions in a timely, cost-effective, inter-sectoral manner providing adequate delivery of settlement panning in transit hubs, reception areas, blue dots, enrollment facilities, transit sites.
- Review existing sites (transit hubs, reception areas, blue dots, enrollment facilities, transit sites) and suggest improvements to meet minimum humanitarian standards, adjusted to the specific context of the Ukraine crisis.
- As part of the contingency planning, support local authorities with detailed design of transit sites. Develop a “replicable” settlement plan to fit multiple locations.
- In close coordination with local authorities and relevant partners, develop and optimize a comprehensive and efficient transport strategy that link entry border crossing points, transit sites and exit border crossing points.
- Collaborate with Programme and emphasise the importance of reviewing technical components of the Project Partnership Agreements that contain any construction and infrastructure projects in relation to planning for transit sites.
- Work with the Supply team to advise on matters related to the procurement of construction, infrastructure and other sector related works and services, including the development of technical specifications, BoQs and drawings for bid documents as part of the contingency planning efforts.
- Carry out technical evaluation of the received bids as well as review/inspect the quality of settlement planning related works and infrastructure products/works during implementation and at completion.
- Support as requested with any matters related to human settlement planning for Ukrainian refugees transiting or staying in the country, focusing on advocating for minimum humanitarian standards
- Perform other related duties as required, particularly around accommodation/transport/field operational priorities.
- Strong experience in planning human settlements in urban displacement contexts
- Knowledge of the UNHCR Master Plan Approach
- Strong experience in working in support of host governments
- Understanding of mandate of UNHCR and the governments
- Experience in middle to high income countries, preferably in the European context
- Experience in coordination in refugee and/or displacement contexts (RCM)
Innovative, out of the box thinker, hands-on and practical, with a flexible personality. Strong team player. Diplomatic and representation skills, excellent communicator.
- Experience of human settlement/urban planning management (including site supervision, monitoring, quality control, evaluation etc.) including application of participatory approaches to facilitate active participation of communities into the project cycle and into the settlement planning process
- Experience in working with technical departments.
- Hands-on project formulation, planning, supervision and management experience.
- Strong experience in inter-agency coordination.
- Strong experience in building on existing local capacity and transfer knowledge as appropriate.